Thursday, November 1, 2012

Candidate profile - Lee Whitmore



Lee Whitmore – GIS Analyst
0400 920 426
     
My name is Lee Whitmore and I am a GIS Analyst.  I have recently returned from 12 months overseas in Canada and am ready and eager to continue my career in GIS.  I am looking to pursue a position that will strengthen my current knowledge and experience in GIS.

I have over four years experience using GIS software including ArcGIS, MapInfo and Pathfinder Office. I have used software applications to design and develop GIS products. I have skills and knowledge in spatial data structures, data analysis, data modelling and data management.  I have experience in capturing and interpreting GIS data.

In my most recent GIS position as Alert Point Analyst I was responsible for producing and delivering the Alert Point database of safety points for navigational devices. These included speed cameras, level crossings and black spot locations for the entire area of Australia.  I developed strong management skills as I assisted in the development of this GIS product. With each release of the database I had to carefully plan what alert point features needed to be updated and what new features needed to be added to the database.  I gained experience in sourcing GIS maps and data from government organisations as well as motoring bodies.

I have excellent time management skills as managing time was a critical component in making sure that the tasks were completed and the database released on time.  For each release in the development of the database new features were added to the database which meant there was not enough time to complete required tasks.  On such occasions I had to coach and coordinate a small number of contractors to ensure the database tasks would be completed.

To ensure that the database’s quality maintained its highest standard I created a thorough quality check procedure which I was able to implement into the database.  With over 20,000 points in the database the quality check ensured that all Alert Points were located correctly against the current road network data and that all the Alert Point attributes were correct.  Using ArcGIS tools, SQL queries and Python scripts I was able to improve the quality of the database to 99.8% accuracy.

In a previous position at the same company, I gained knowledge and experience in the capture and analysis of GIS data.  I have experience in using ASPEN, Trimble, GIPSI Track and ARRB Hawkeye software and hardware to capture Australian road network data.  I have experience in creating drive plans; scheduling areas of road that need to be captured and what attributes are required.  I have experience in analysing and converting captured GIS data for use in GIS applications.

I completed a Bachelor of Science degree in 2004 at the University of Tasmania.  I have an interest in science and the environment and completed a double major in Zoology and Geography and Environmental Sciences.  My ideal career move would be to use my GIS experience in a role where I could use my science degree.  Examples would be to monitor environmental changes, track animal populations, monitor land usage.  That being said I’d also like to plan and make road networks safer, map economic changes, use GIS to improve farming practices.  I am open for any employment position that will strengthen my current skills.

I plan to relocate to any Australian city or town for the right opportunity. I look forward to having an opportunity to meet with potential employers.  I am available at any time for an interview.  I can be contacted by mobile on 0400 920 426 or by email at leewhitmore@hotmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment