Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Joshua Geoghegan - GIS Analyst




Joshua Geoghegan
GIS Analyst

0407806335



My name is Joshua Geoghegan and I am a GIS Analyst at Lonely Planet Publications. I have worked in the GIS industry for around seven years. I have experience with the ESRI suite of software and some experience with MapInfo.

In my current role I build and test mapping resources for the cartographic team, including border templates and style files in ArcMap, along with updating the GIS database to support these resources. The border templates and style files are utilised when the cartographers create maps for guidebooks using custom mapping software and ArcMap. I test for the most efficient mapping processes using both ArcGIS tools and the custom mapping tools, which I then document and train the team. A large part of my job is to provide technical support using the service desk, and I attend to the majority of GIS related service requests. The cartographers rely on my expertise to solve problems that may stop them from working. From time to time I am required to communicate to the cartographic team as well as the managing cartography team when technical issues need to be discussed.

To keep on top of data requirements, I prepare GIS resources such as imagery and personal geodatabases for our partners who digitise our imagery. I then quality check and upload the incoming digitised data onto our GIS server. Another part of my role is to order this imagery through different suppliers. The purchased imagery is then prepared for digitisation with tasks such as orthorectifying, georeferencing, mosaicing and resampling. Daily tasks are made transparent to the team with daily “standups”, and the team’s tasks are planned using the Agile methodology.

My role requires me to maintain the GIS databases using both ESRI software and SQL Server. Database tasks include creating SQL reports for the cartographic team using SQL Server and Report Builder, creating an SQL database and Microsoft Access interface using Visual Basic for a project management system for publishing staff, and restoring the GIS and SQL databases when required.

My previous role as a cartographer involved updating and creating maps for guidebooks using AutoCAD, ArcMap, custom GIS tools and Adobe Illustrator. This role required a great eye for detail. I always completed my work ahead of schedule and to a high standard. It allowed me to prove my project management skills, as I often had to balance multiple projects at a time.

A temporary stint at a local council gave me experience with MapInfo 7.5, used for asset management tasks and for improving the GIS usability for departments within the council. I collected data to assess the condition of car parks, kerbs and footpaths, and I entered this data along with historical data into the GIS. I also redesigned icons for the council GIS and created maps for council departments.

Below is a list of the software I have experience with:

  • Adobe Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator 10-CS4, Photoshop
  • ArcSDE, ArcMap, ArcInfo & ArcCatalog 8-10
  • ArcGIS Server
  •  AutoCAD (some CivilCAD experience)
  • CorelDRAW
  •  Fontlab Studio
  • Map Info 7.5
  • Microsoft Office Suite: Access, Excel & Word
  • Microstation
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005-2008 & Report Builder 2
  • Visual Basic


The type of role I am looking for is a GIS/Spatial Analyst position, preferably in Victoria but I would consider interstate. As I love to challenge myself, I would like a role that will allow me to build on my SQL and database skills, which have already contributed to Lonely Planet’s production team. I am very experienced in providing training and support. I would also enjoy some field data collection if possible but I consider it a bonus and it will not affect my decision to take on the role. I take pride in my work, and I have a great work ethic that won’t disappoint.

My contact details are below:
Joshua Geoghegan
Phone: 0407806335

Please don’t hesitate to contact me for further information.

Thank you,

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment