Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Jonathan Ho





Jonathan Ho


I am an environmental engineer, with a passion for environmental science, spatial science, international development, sustainable agriculture and conservation.


I graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor of Environmental Engineering (Honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne. I have been working as a Field Research Engineer also at the University of Melbourne since 2009, gaining proficiency in a multitude of field monitoring and data acquisition techniques, with a great diversity of equipment and methods.


During my final undergraduate year, I completed a research paper which was subsequently accepted into the MODSIM conference in Perth the following year (2011). My paper focused on observing episodic flood waters which flow through Cooper Creek in central Australia en route to Lake Eyre, using a combination of remote sensing techniques including visible and microwave observations from MODIS and AMSR-E respectively. The research also included comparative analyses and validation with flow stations on the ground. I gained significant experience not only in complex data analysis, but in compiling a research paper, having to meet strict deadlines, writing styles, formatting and presenting in a conference environment. Following the conference I received positive feedback from my colleagues and interest from industry practitioners.


During university, I was also actively involved in community development, through expeditions to a remote village in the heart of Papua New Guinea in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Our aim was to engage with the community and conduct feasibility studies for an application for an EU grant that would potentially provide a suitable and reliable source of clean water for the community. In the meantime we also developed appropriate technologies, ran sanitation education and conducted community consultations. During this time, I gained valuable experience in compiling grant applications; our team was awarded two student engagement grants in 2008 and 2010 from the University of Melbourne. Leading the 2010 team, I accepted the award in 2010 on behalf of the team and presented our work at the engagement award ceremony.


Following graduation, I took on a full time role at the University of Melbourne carrying on from my undergraduate work in spatial science. I worked on a project with the Korean Polar Research Institute (KOPRI), looking at the dynamics of large, salinity-driven ocean currents and their impact on distributing heat around the Earth's oceans, ultimately driving the climate. In my role I was responsible for procuring observations of sea surface salinity and temperature from SMOS and the then recently launched AQUARIUS satellite, applying comparative analyses with observations from the ARGO float array. I built upon my proficiencies in Matlab, ESRI ArcGIS and ENVI, while compiling research papers and reports.


In addition to this, my role included another project based in central Victoria with the establishment of two monitoring towers. The towers monitor soil moisture and temperature flux as well as plant growth dynamics of agricultural crops for ground truthing and comparison with remote sensing observations from satellites and remote controlled UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle). I worked on a collaborative team designing and constructing the towers, followed up by the implementation of the data collection strategy involving data processing, calibration, maintenance and establishment of the database.


My keen interest in spatial science has also lead me to Borneo, Indonesia. I volunteered at reforestation site, Samboja Lestari after coming across talks by founder, Willie Smits at the TED and ESRI International User Conference, on the use of GIS and spatial science in conservation.


Currently, I am seeking further opportunities, particularly in the application of GIS and remote sensing in environmental science, where I will be able to utilise my diverse experience and skills as well as the potential to grow and learn. I am based in Melbourne, Australia but enthusiastically welcome opportunities interstate and abroad.


For a copy of my CV or further information please contact me via email at: jho.015@gmail.com











No comments:

Post a Comment